- University of California, Berkeley v University of Hawaii in the opening game of the 2016 NCAA College Football season – dubbed the College Football Sydney Cup on Saturday 27 August.
- Game to kick off at noon with huge pre and post-game celebrations in Sydney Olympic Park.
- The day will feature marching bands, cheerleaders, mascots and a host of College Football inspired entertainment.
- American-style footy fare will be on offer to the bumper crowd, including 2ft-long hotdogs, College inspired burgers, popcorn and pretzels.
GIANT hotdogs, Buffalo wings, goalposts on one leg . . . Stadium Australia is going all American ahead of the opening game of the 2016 NCAA College Football season on Saturday 27 August.
Fans will be able to embrace all the culture, colour and flavour of American Football when the University of California, Berkeley face off against the University of Hawaii in the first ever College Football game to be held in Sydney.
The blockbuster event will feature marching bands, cheerleaders, team mascots and American footy fare that will have fans watering at the mouth.
Tickets to the College Football blockbuster are on sale now here.
To celebrate the American Football uprights going in at Stadium Australia for the first time since 1999, Rugby superstars Israel Folau & Bernard Foley, Parramatta Eels captain Tim Mannah, Western Sydney Wanderers ace Shannon Cole, GWS Giants young gun Jarrod Pickett and Sydney Swans key defender Gary Rohan stepped out onto the hallowed turf to test their skills with the gridiron ball.
The footy stars also had a chance to tuck into some of the unique food that will be on offer during the game. The specialty items include:
- 2ft-long hotdogs;
- Cal bear burger with beef patties, lettuce, tomato, bacon, caramelized onions, pickles & cheese;
- Hawaii chicken burger with tomato, pineapple, cheese, bacon, lettuce & chili;
- Nathans hot dogs with the lot;
- Chilli Bean Corn Chips Corn chips topped with chilli bean salsa made from mixed beans, homemade bbq sauce and brisket burnt ends;
- Cape Byron Angus beef brisket roll Texas style 12 hr slow cooked brisket served on fresh milk bun with dry slaw and homemade tangy bbq sauce;
- Hot butter corn on the cob;
- Salt crusted pretzels;
- Buckets of warm popcorn and candy floss
- Krispy Krème doughnuts;
- Cinnamon churros with chocolate sauce;
- American candy
Arrive Early and Use Public Transport
Gates are set to open at 10:30am on the day with the game scheduled for a 12-noon kick-off and run for 3.5 hours to work in with an ESPN telecast designed to showcase Sydney to millions around the world. The noon sharp kick-off means fans will need to get moving early in the day and are strongly encouraged to arrive early and use public transport.
Fans will want to be in their seats early to witness the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors performing their “Tika Tonu” haka for the Sydney crowd before the game as well as a host of other College Football style pre-game activities including cheerleaders, marching bands, the U.S. national anthem and more.
Fans will be able to join like-minded American Football fans before and after the game in the official College Football Sydney Cup Tailgate Party at The Brewery in Sydney Olympic Park. Doors open at 10am and there will be special entertainment including U.S. themed music, food and drink as well as a super screen showing all the sporting events of the day. Entry is free!
You can guarantee a premium seat to the College Football Sydney Cup – and any regular season sporting event – by becoming an Stadium Australia Member. To enquire about Stadium Australia Membership, click here.
Or impress and indulge your clients with Stadium Australia’s Official Hospitality packages. Choose between a Private Suite, Zone box or a table of 10 in our Trophy Room to entertain your best clients. Enquiries here.