- University of California, Berkeley v University of Hawaii in the opening game of the 2016 NCAA College Football season – dubbed the College Football Sydney Cup on Saturday 27 August;
- Game to kick off at noon with huge pre and post-game celebrations in Sydney Olympic Park;
- Fans are encouraged to take public transport to the game with direct trains from Central in operation;
- American-style footy fare will be on offer to the bumper crowd, including 2ft-long hotdogs, College inspired burgers, popcorn and pretzels.
TOUCHDOWN! Players, coaches, cheerleaders and mascots from the University of California, Berkeley and the University of Hawaii gathered at the Opera House for the Official NSW Government Welcome to Sydney ahead of the College Football Sydney Cup at Stadium Australia Saturday 27 August.
Nearly 500 players and staff from the two Colleges have made their way to Sydney and while the trip serves as a once in a lifetime opportunity for the athletes, Cal Head Coach Sonny Dykes says both teams mean business.
“We’ve got two teams that are going to play really hard,” said Dykes.
“The amount of work these student-athletes put in, it’s year-round preparation to play 12 games, and I think that will show this weekend when both teams play with great effort and intensity.”
With sunny skies forecast for Saturday and the whole College Football circus on display fans are in for one hell of a show. Tickets to the game are still available here.
Arrive Early and Use Public Transport
Gates are set to open at 10:30am on the day with the game scheduled for a 12-noon kick-off and will run for around 3.5 hours. The noon sharp kick-off means fans will need to get moving early in the day and are strongly encouraged to arrive early and use public transport.
Fans will want to be in their seats early with both teams warming up on the field from 11am. Pre-game entertainment will start at 11:30am with performances from the cheerleaders and marching bands before the U.S. National Anthem.Tthe University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors will perform their “Tika Tonu” haka for the Sydney crowd before the game kicks off.
Fans will be able to embrace all things College Football with an exciting, American-style menu on offer inside the Stadium. The specialty items include:
- 2ft-long hotdogs;
- Cal bear burger with beef patties, lettuce, tomato, bacon, caramelized onions, pickles & cheese;
- Hawaii chicken burger with tomato, pineapple, cheese, bacon, lettuce & chili;
- Nathans hot dogs with the lot;
- Chilli Bean Corn Chips Corn chips topped with chilli bean salsa made from mixed beans, homemade bbq sauce and brisket burnt ends;
- Cape Byron Angus beef brisket roll Texas style 12 hr slow cooked brisket served on fresh milk bun with dry slaw and homemade tangy bbq sauce;
- Hot butter corn on the cob;
- Salt crusted pretzels;
- Buckets of warm popcorn and candy floss
- Krispy Krème doughnuts;
- Cinnamon churros with chocolate sauce;
- American candy
Fans will be able to join like-minded American Football fans before and after the game in the official College Football Sydney Cup Tailgate Party at The Brewery in Sydney Olympic Park. Doors open at 10am and there will be special entertainment including U.S. themed music, food and drink as well as a super screen showing all the sporting events of the day. Entry is free!
You can guarantee a premium seat to the College Football Sydney Cup – and any regular season sporting event – by becoming an Stadium Australia Member. To enquire about Stadium Australia Membership, click here.
Or impress and indulge your clients with Stadium Australia’s Official Hospitality packages. Choose between a Private Suite, Zone box or a table of 10 in our Trophy Room to entertain your best clients. Enquiries here.