By Zachary Colwell
- Accor Stadium regularly hosts The Change Room program, inspiring people to focus on their physical and mental wellbeing and achieve success in all areas of their lives.
- Founder Matt Elliott is a former NRL player and coach who has become a renowned life coach and best-selling author.
- Keen to host an event of your own at Accor Stadium – Sydney’s Olympic stadium and home of major events? Enquire here
Matt Elliott spent 28 years going in and out of change rooms as a player or coach in the NRL, but today he uses those same change rooms to help everyday people tackle issues that are affecting their physical and mental wellbeing.
Still actively involved in footy coaching and mentoring with St George Illawarra Dragons, Matt founded The Change Room program to inspire people to improve their physical and mental health by exploring better practices used in high-performance sports environments.
“We believe everyone should have access to proven techniques for elevated physical and psychological performance, which translate easily into everyday life,” Matt says.
“We don’t want people to settle for feeling OK . . . we have the tools and techniques to show how you can live your best life through improved nutrition, movement, thinking and connection.
“We know this works because we have seen for ourselves how inspired people inspire and influence others in a positive way.”
Matt is passionate about giving participants confidence, hope and a fresh start. He draws on his long career as a player and coach to motivate people into finding a new lease on life.
The Change Room program is regularly conducted at Accor Stadium, Sydney’s home of major events, as well as sister stadium CommBank Stadium at Parramatta. Both stadiums are part of the Venues NSW network.
“The symbolism of the change rooms at Accor Stadium and the other venues plays an important part in our programs,” Matt explained.
“The inspiration for our program came from being around change rooms at venues like Accor Stadium, where athletes transition from everyday people to elite athletes ready to play the game of their lives.”
Coach Elliott recently took the learnings from The Change Room project to write and publish a book under the same name . . . THE CHANGE ROOM. Play The Game of Your Life. It quickly became a current Australian No.1 Best Seller.
Matt is joined in The Change Room program at Accor Stadium by inspiring mentors who have either a lived experience or have expertise in recovery from chronic illness, injury, trauma or a personal setback.
Their health, resilience and wellbeing strategies take a sports science approach and are evidence-informed following successes with world champions, high-performance athletes and business leaders.
They are passionate about sharing their knowledge and helping others improve their physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.
Among the mentors are NRL legend Anthony Minichiello, human behaviour expert Dr Ali Walker and health and fitness industry leader Nam Baldwin.
Upcoming programs in The Change Room:
- Canberra – Change Room Restore: 6-7 September, Manuka Oval.
- Sydney – Leadership Workshop: 13 & 20 September, Accor Stadium.
- Online – Change Room Connect: 11 October, Online.
- Newcastle – Change Room Restore: 10 & 11 October, McDonald Jones Stadium.
- Sydney – Change Room Restore: 14 & 21 November, Accor Stadium.
Further information: https://www.thechangeroom.info/