- Western Sydney Wanderers v Sydney FC Saturday 18 February the third BIG Derby of 2017;
- Largest crowd in A-League history (61,880) packed in to Stadium Australia for opening Derby;
- Derby an early highlight of a massive year of events at Sydney’s Olympic stadium;
- Derby will go back-to-back with the 35th Charity Shield clash between the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs on Sunday 19 February.
IT’S time to pick your colours, choose your end and strap yourself in for one of the biggest ever event years at Stadium Australia in 2017.
The action heats up on Saturday 18 February when the Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC go head-to-head in the Hyundai A-League’s biggest rivalry.
The Round 1 Sydney Derby saw all existing A-League attendance records smashed when 61,880 fans walked through the gates with the passionate support from the RBB and The Cove creating an atmosphere that equalled or bettered any of the great Derbies around the globe.
Come February the two clubs will square off on the hallowed Stadium Australia turf in a clash that will split Sydney in two once again.
Lock in your seat at the biggest fixture on the A-League calendar here.
Just a day later on Sunday 19 February rugby league returns with the annual Charity Shield clash between the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs that will set the tone for a bumper year of NRL at Stadium Australia.
A record 35 NRL regular-season games are already locked in at the Stadium with the annual Good Friday fixture, Bulldogs v Rabbitohs, and Easter Monday’s Battle of the West, Eels v Tigers, clear early-season highlights
But it’s three sellout shows during one incredible week of entertainment in March that will have all eyes beamed on Sydney Olympic Park, with global superstars Adele (10-11 March) and Justin Bieber (15 March) set to draw a colossal 256,000 fans through the Stadium Australia turnstiles.
July will see Premier League giants Arsenal hit Sydney for the first time in 40 years to play back-to-back blockbusters against Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers with more than 150,000 football fans expected through the gates.
Stadium Australia Members, Corporate Clients and everyday fans of quality sport and entertainment will feast on a smorgasbord of 49 events already confirmed for 2017 . . . and with more blockbusters pencilled in awaiting confirmation.
As the major events roll out in 2017:
- 10 & 11 February: Guns N’ Roses – Not In This Lifetime Tour;
- 18 February: Sydney Derby XV – Western Sydney Wanderers v Sydney FC;
- 19 February: Charity Shield – St George Illawarra Dragons v South Sydney Rabbitohs.
- 3 March: NRL Round 1 blockbuster – Rabbitohs v Tigers;
- 10 & 11 March: Global phenomenon Adele;
- 15 March: Justin Bieber – The Purpose Tour.
- 14 April: Good Friday – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v South Sydney Rabbitohs;
- 17 April: Easter Monday – Parramatta Eels v Wests Tigers.
- 13 July: #ArsenalinSydney – Arsenal v Sydney FC;
- 15 July: #ArsenalinSydney – Arsenal v Western Sydney Wanderers.
- 2017 NRL Finals Series.
With a monster line-up of events in 2017 there’s no better time to become an Stadium Australia Member and guarantee your seat at every regular sporting event at the Stadium, including the back-to-back blockbusters featuring Premier League giants Arsenal in July. Enquire about a Stadium Membership here.